News & Publications

37 things the Government is telling businesses to do ‘as soon as possible’ ahead of Brexit

Business Live

The Government has issued a list of more than 60 pieces of advice for businesses to prepare for Brexit ahead of the anticipated October 31 withdrawal date.

Much of the campaign during the 2016 EU Referendum in favour of the Leave vote were for the UK to “take back control” and to free the country from European Union bureaucracy.  But for businesses, this will first involve needing to make various checks, applications, registrations and finding alternative funding – and that Brexit could mean trade with other countries becoming far more difficult, especially in the now-likely event of a no-deal.

As part of the Government’s information campaign ahead of Brexit, it has created a website called ‘Get Ready’, using multiple-choice questions to offer tailored information and advice.  That includes tips for British citizens living in Europe, EU citizens in the UK, people looking to travel after October 31, and what to do about pets passports, but also a huge amount of advice for businesses.

Other warnings include changes to labelling goods for manufacturers and expected tariffs that will need to be paid.  The main message from the website seems to be that if business leaders fail to get their firms ready for Brexit, they may not be able to trade with the bloc.

In total, the website lists 37 things it’s advising businesses to do “as soon as possible”, with 23 further tasks and pieces of advice and details on how long they will take.  A further piece of advice is listed but without a time limit.

And with some of the tasks taking up to three months to complete, and the Government promising to get Brexit done by the end of October, some firms might fear not having enough time to get them done.

BusinessLive has looked through the Get Ready site and below is every piece of advice listed for firms.

Things the government advises you to do ‘as soon as possible’

1. Check if you need to change your conformity assessment or conformity marking to sell CE marked goods (a manufacturer’s declaration that a product complies with essential requirements of the relevant European health) in the UK or EU

2. Get legal advice if your business is merging with an EU company

3. Check if you need to appoint a representative in the EU, and label your goods with your EU importer’s details

4. Check if your employees need a visa or work permit and meet any requirements for their profession to work in the country they’re going to

5. Check if you need to change how you do accounting and reporting

6. Read the guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office to check if you need to change your contract to keep accessing personal data from the EU.

7. Check how to label food if you’re selling it in the UK or EU

8. For boating firms, get an International Maritime Organisation number if your vessel is 12m or longer

9. Check what you need to do to sell or supply medical devices in the UK

10. Get a legal representative in the UK, EU or EEA if you carry out clinical trials

11. Check what you need to do to sell or supply medicines in the UK

12. Decide whether to get an agent or make declarations yourself as you may not be able to trade goods with the EU

13. Register for a quicker way to move your goods to the EU

14. Check if your existing UK Civil Aviation Authority or EASA certificates and licences will be valid

15. Check if you need to change your contracts to broadcast licensed content outside the UK to avoid breaching copyright permissions

16. Check if you need permission to sell someone’s intellectual property in the EEA, if you’ve already sold it in the UK

17. Check contracts relating to EU space programmes with your contracting authority as you may not be able to bid for future contracts with such programmes

18. Check if you need to find replacement data if you’re using data from the Copernicus satellite programme

19. Find out how to comply with the new UK nuclear safeguards arrangements

20. Register to use the open general export licence to export ‘dual use’ nuclear goods from the UK

21. Prepare to ship radioactive waste and spent fuel into and out of the UK as failing to comply with new regulations will be a criminal offence

22. Check the rules on moving radioactive material into and out of the UK, which will need a written declaration

23. For egg exporters, print ‘GB’, ‘GBR’ or ‘826’ on each egg you’re sending to the EU for people to eat

24. Print markings on hatching eggs and boxes of chicks that you’re exporting to the EU

25. Check what you need to do to land your fish catch at a port in the EU as they may be delayed or rejected without the correct documents

26. For the chemicals sector, prepare for loss of access to EU Emissions Trading System and other EU Registry accounts after Brexit

27. Check whether any wood packaging you use meets international standards

28. For lorry and goods vehicle drivers, find out how to exchange your UK Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) for an EU Driver CPC

29. For international bus or coach services, check what documents you need to run unscheduled bus or coach services in EU countries

30. For those affected by design and trademark law, disclose your designs before 31 October if you want unregistered protection in the UK and EU

31. Check what you need to do if you’re a lawyer with an EU or EEA qualification to still work or provide legal services in the UK as you may not be able to continue working if you do not prepare

32. Check what you need to do if you own a UK legal services business

33. Check what you need to do if you’re a lawyer with a UK qualification to still work or provide legal services in the EU

34. For horse owners, talk to your vet six weeks before you travel with your horse or other equine to the EU

35. For those in construction, check if your third-party conformity assessment for construction products is still recognised by the EU

36. Find out if a no-deal Brexit will affect your business on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website

37. Ask your employees to check if they need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme